The National Right to Housing Network is seeking a skilled and experienced organizer to join our team as a Community Outreach Coordinator. The successful candidate will be committed to community-building with the aim of realizing the human right to housing and ending homelessness across Canada. Deadline for applications is Friday, October 1, 2021.
The National Right to Housing Network (NRHN) is a broad-based, grassroots civil society network established to fully realize the human right to housing in Canada. The goals of the network are to: hold government to account for the implementation and growth of Canada’s commitment to the right to housing as a fundamental human right; and build the community-based infrastructure and culture that supports meaningful implementation of the right to housing. The NRHN includes a Steering Committee of key leaders, thinkers, experts, and people with lived experience of homelessness and inadequate housing. In addition to the Steering Committee, the NRHN has working groups to organize collaboration on research, government relations, community initiatives, strategic cases, and ad hoc issues as they arise. The Network launched in February 2020, and now includes over 350 organizational and individual members.
About the Opportunity
This Community Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for implementing and measuring the success of a specific project for the NRHN, to promote the right to housing among tenants and persons with lived experience of homelessness. This project includes:
- Creating a national online database or directory of legal resources for tenants and persons experiencing homelessness to advocate for their human right to housing and challenge discrimination through local and provincial/territorial mechanisms;
- Facilitating knowledge exchange between tenant advocates and organizations through a Pan-Canadian virtual convening (similar to a multi-day online conference and networking session); and,
- Drawing from advocacy stories to create a storytelling report of key tenant advocacy moments from across Canada.
The Coordinator will support NRHN’s virtual and in-person community outreach efforts and events. They will also have an eye for constant improvement and be responsible for supporting the NRHN’s strategic planning and implementation efforts.
This is a one-year, part-time, and contract role with an expected start date of November 1, 2021 ($38-41 per hour, 30 hours a week).
This position requires a passion for social justice, a belief in the human right to housing, and a sense of urgency to end and prevent homelessness and housing need in Canada. In addition, the position requires:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent (we also value relevant experience in lieu of a degree)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in and/or passion for community outreach and relationship-building with diverse stakeholders, particularly within a network or coalition
- Knowledge of online database, directory, and/or website development and organization, with an eye for effective user experience (UX) design
- Ability to develop digestible and effective e-learning content
- A talented and persuasive writer
- Ability to take leadership and manage projects in a fast paced, virtual team environment
- Ability to cope with and embrace change, risk, ambiguity, and uncertainty
- Ability to forge strong team relationships in a virtual office environment
- Receives and relays criticism constructively; comfortable managing conflict and disagreement to a productive conclusion
- Willingness and ability to work with multiple cultures in an inclusive and respectful manner
- Willingness to work from a home office
Candidates with lived experience of homelessness and/or who self-identify as being from a marginalized community, including Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQQIA persons, are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized. We ask that these candidates indicate their relevant identities in their cover letters.
For a detailed description of this Community Outreach Coordinator role, please download the PDF below:
Download the Full Role Description
How to Apply
To apply, please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line, “Community Outreach Coordinator Application.”
- Your cover letter should expand on your related experience and why you want to work for the National Right to Housing Network.
- This part-time and contract role will require 30 hours of work per week for one year, at an hourly wage of $38-41 per hour.
- The NRHN is an Allied Network of the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness (CAEH), meaning that the CAEH supports the administrative infrastructure of the NRHN in a common efforts to realize the human right to housing and end homelessness in Canada. As such, the Community Outreach Coordinator will be contracting with the CAEH while being accountable to the NRHN Steering Committee and membership.
- The deadline for applications is October 1, 2021.
Please note that only selected applicants will be contacted to continue in the hiring process. Please do not follow-up once you have sent your application.